Last week, I was nominated by April of April Does That for the Sunshine Blogger Award. April has a really neat crafting blog that you can find here. You can also find her on Facebook, here. The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers who are creative, positive, and inspiring. By receiving this nomination, I need to answer the questions April provided, and nominate 11 new bloggers, asking 11 new questions. Here we go!
1.How long have you been blogging? I started blogging about 9 years ago when I was planning my wedding and continued into newlywed life. I took it a little more seriously as a hobby once we found out we were pregnant with our first child because we didn’t live near any family members and it was a great way to keep every one up-to-date.
4. Why did you start blogging? I mentioned earlier that I started blogging as a means to keep distant family members up-to-date on all the latest happenings in our life. I love writing and I need a creative outlet to keep myself sane. Blogging allows me to do that. When I went back to work before H was two, I didn’t have time to really blog anymore and my creativity really suffered. Now that I’ve had the chance to dive in and take it more seriously, I feel more myself again.
5. How did you come up with the name of your blog? Coming up with the name of this blog kept me up a lot of nights, which I know sounds so ridiculous. Basically, I just got tired of feeling like a less-than mom because I don’t have a pinterest worthy home, my house is never spotless, and my kids are really really loud. I felt like I couldn’t live up to those standards and I was really hard on myself because of it. Then one day I just stopped and decided I was being ridiculous and figured that had to be plenty of moms out there feeling the same way. I wanted to create a blog that could be viewed as a safe space for moms who really don’t care to be perfect and as a source of inspiration for moms struggling with the same things I was.
6. What was your favorite movie as a kid? The Lion King. Hands down, haha!
7.What makes your blog special? As I mentioned a little earlier, I have no interest in trying to keep up an image of perfection. I struggle with anxiety and when I thought that I had to be the perfect mom, my health suffered. I will always encourage other moms to embrace who they are inside parenthood and outside, and I will always strive to inspire moms to just let go of the idea of perfection. Because there’s no such thing as the perfect mom.
8. What was your first job? Babysitting? My first non-babysitting job was a waitress.
9. Share the post you are most proud of. Definitely this one. It was a very difficult one to write, bringing out a lot of emotions I don’t really care to feel. It stretched me in ways I needed to be stretched and addressed a major issue I feel needs to be addressed.
10.How long does it take you to do an average post? This varies depending on the type of post, but I generally spend about 8 hours on each post. This includes researching, working on images, writing, proofreading, editing, and social media.
11. What would you like to tell your readers? The number one thing I want to say is that if you’ve found yourself here, it’s likely you were feeling similar things to what I was feeling when I started this blog. And that’s totally ok. I think once we are able to let go of this idea that we have to have it all, do it all, and be it all, we are able to give ourselves more fully to our kids and partners in the ways that they need you. Your kids don’t want a “perfect” mom because to them you already are. They need you to be the mom who makes the right choices for their family. And it’s so freeing, too, to embrace life as the messy chaos that it is and accept that you might actually never have it all figured out. And that’s a really beautiful thing.
Now I get to nominate 11 other bloggers and ask 11 questions of my own! After you’ve been nominated, create a post linking back to my blog, answer my 11 questions, and nominate 11 other bloggers and ask 11 new questions! Don’t forget to include the Sunshine Blogger Award photo in your post!
My 11 Questions:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- What has surprised you most about blogging?
- What has been your biggest success in blogging?
- What has been your biggest blogging challenge?
- What are your favorite social media platforms for your blog?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your most memorable vacation?
- What is your favorite pastime?
- What is your one piece of advice for someone wanting to start a blog?
- What is the one thing you wish you had known before you started blogging?
- What inspires you most in your every day life?